Friday, December 7, 2012

Final Comments

I thought it would be interesting to wrap up this specific blog with a mini survey I conducted. I asked some of my friends, classmates, and co-workers what their opinion on government regulation of the Internet is. I did not give them a specific set of answers to choose from because I wanted to see what they said. As it turns out, I did not have to do much analysis of the data because the responses were overwhelmingly similar. Out of the 25 people I asked and recorded, I found that 23 out of the 25 want nothing to do with government regulation of the Internet, and the other 2 were undecided. What was interesting though, was the fact that along with their response that they do not want government involvement, almost everyone ended up reverting back and suggesting a minimal approach should be taken; for example finding ways to fight hackers, etc. 

This was obviously not an official survey I conducted, but it did make me realize that this question of government regulation is a very difficult one to answer. It is more than a yes or no answer and it is frustrating for people to come up with an answer they are satisfied with. I mentioned this in the last post, but these personal findings reiterate my point that this debate will be a long and continuous one. As long as the Internet is alive, I believe this debate will stay alive. So, what came out of this entire discussion on government regulation of the Internet for me, was that although it is a frustrating topic, take a second to realize what is at stake no matter the side you are on. It is a very important topic that will hopefully receive the attention and attentiveness that is needed to ultimately create the best policies needed to make the Internet more valuable for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment